Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dinner Day Fourteen.

Lasagna & Garlic Bread

I followed this recipe pretty close, but I decided to try it with whole wheat noodles and I also made whole wheat french bread.  This recipe for the Garlic Bread Spread is so good!  The first time I made it, the only bread I had was hot dog buns, so I cut them in half and man did they turn out great!

Lasagna Ingredients:
3/4 lb. extra lean ground beef
(I used a pound and it was still good.)
3 gloves of garlic, minced
1-1/2 tsp. dried oegano leaves
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
1 large tomato, chopped
1 container (16 oz.) low fat cottage cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
2 cups low fat mozzarella cheese

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Brown meat with garlic and oregano in large saucepan. Stir in spaghetti sauce and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes.

Mix egg, cottage cheese and parmesan cheese in a medium bowl.

Spread 1/2 cup of sauce mixture onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish.  Top with a layer of 3 noodles, 1 cup of cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup of sauce mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture.  Cover with foil.

Bake 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


Garlic Bread Spread Ingredients:
1/2 cup of butter, softened
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. of garlic powder

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and spread on bread of your choice.  Bake until golden.


Enjoy!

And as for the whole wheat noodles .... they were ok.  Not sure I would use them again.  However, the whole wheat french bread was great and I will definitely buy it again.

1 comment:

Our Life Together said...

I bet Tony is loving this home-cookin' stuff! Go JoLynn. Half way there!!!!